Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Find TapeDrive Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1x

Programmer
Jan 12, 2005
US
Is there a command that would state if a tapedrive reqruies 4mm vs 8mm or bigger tape?

Using iostat -En, I can get the vendor Information and the product, but I need more detailed information.

I have also tried mt -f status, but no help their either...

Your command should be mt -f /dev/rmt/0 stat. Most 8mm tapes drives require a tape in the drive for the status option to work.

If you use mt -f /dev/rmt/0 stat you will only get
"No tape loaded or drive offline"
unless there is a tape in the drive. This appears to hold true for every tape drive type I've used (which is pretty much everything- I work with an enormous number of different tape drive types.)

If you load a tape, you will get a more detailed response indicating the type of the tape drive when you run mt -f /dev/rmt/0 stat.

However, I get the feeling this will not help you- I am assuming the system is at a remote location you do not have access to, or you could just look at the tapedrive and tell what you need.

Can you post what you get when you run
iostat -E | grep Ven

I may be able to tell you what you need to know based on this output.

Vincent Esposito

Vesposito, You're correct. All the machines might not even have the same product, here is one...

I will pull this inforamtion from all machines.

Vendor: HP Product: C5683A Revision: C005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back