Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find port number of PC based on IP Address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KThug

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
I have a machine on my network sending out wierd packets, ip spoofing almost. Anyway, how could I find out which port of the switch this machine is on? There is evidently some sort of a program running that changes its IP everyso often. We are using the 172.16.1.0/24 network and the machine in question sends packets like its a class A, changing the 2nd octet randomly. Obviously, if i could find out which port on the switch this machine is broadcasting from, i could trace to a location and figure out what is going on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve Kennemer

Need to find the source mac address, then follow that back to its port. It'll take some time though..

BuckWeet

Steve:

I would put a sniffer on the switch to determine where the packets our going. That would be a start.

good luck.

ok...if i am able to find the mac address, which IOS command would list the port on the switch with givin mac address? Is that even possible?

Try this....

The command is - >show cam <mac address>

you will notice it shows you what port it is on.

switch> (enable) show cam 00-00-00-00-00-00
* = Static Entry. + = Permanent Entry. # = System Entry. R = Router Entry.
X = Port Security Entry $ = Dot1x Security Entry

VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des [CoS] Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]
---- ------------------ ----- -------------------------------------------
1 00-00-00-00-00-00 6/30 [ALL]
Total Matching CAM Entries Displayed =1

If it is for OS try this.

Show ip arp x.x.x.x ---to get mac address
show mac-address table --- to get port number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor