Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find out IP address if i have the MAC address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webnetwiz

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
How wuld I do that using Windows NT 4.0 or Win2K?

from the DOS prompt type in ipconfig this should tell you the ip address.

you can do this by using the arp command in NT
just type "arp /?" at the command prompt to view its usage

Kapil :) Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit

I have to apologize for my post not being clear. I need to find out an IP address of another computer, using Win NT or Win2K because there are no other Layer 3 devices on that network.

If you ONLY know the MAC address then try pinging the broadcast address (eg 10.1.2.255) and examine your arp cache for the MAC address. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

How do you know the device has an IP address, it may not be configured for IP. If you network is switched then you could look for the MAC in the CAM table of the switch, this would tell you what port the device was connected to.

Unfortunately, the swithces on that segment are not managed. I'll see if I am able to lookup the MAC address table.

Try using a "sniffer" and setup a capture filter for the source MAC address. (Try for a good Open Source one).

You should see at least broadcasts from it. (If the machine is on the other side of a router you won't see it. But then MAC address are irrelevant if they are beyond a router anyway.)

Of course if you have access to the network default router you can log in and look at its arp table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back