Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find new DFS Mgmt in R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFunkyChief

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
I just upgraded to R2, but can't seeem to find the new snap-in to manage DFS and create namespaces...all I see in Administrative tools is the old snap-in. I've scoured the web, Microsoft's suggestion of going to Add/Remove Programs >> Windows Components and finding DFS on the list doesn't work, I don't see it on the list. And on a 2003 Server, I can't find the "Manage My Server" or "Change Roles" option either. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks.

BFC

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

Try installing the role of a file server to that server and you'll get the DFS Management Console.

As far as the Manage my Server try running the following at Start -> Run :

%SystemRoot%\system32\mshta.exe res://%SystemRoot%\system32\mys.dll/mys.hta

Alternative create a shortcut with the above line and put at START IN : %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Hope i helped you!

Thanks for the tip. I tried the above command, but it only opened a blank window...

If the server is a lab server (for tests) try reinstalling from scratch!

Wish it was a test server. Its my domain controller.

Are you sure the update was completed succefully?

By pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del you can see if you have a Windows R2.
If yes then try the following and let us know

Try opening
AddRemovePrograms then
AddRemoveWindowsComponents then
Click on Distributed File System and Click Details you should see DFS Management, DFS Diagnostic and Configuration Tools, DFS Replication Service

I suppose that is what you're looking for!

The install did go, and said it completed succesfully and I didn't get any pop-up errors. I do have the new Windows Update Services available now, which I didn't before....

I right-clicked on My Computer and went to Properties, and it shows Windows 2003 SBS Service Pack 1 (Don't have console access right now). Wouldn't it say here that's it R2?

When I go to Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, I don't see "Distributed File System" on the list. I do have Distributed File System in my Administrative Tools list, but not in Add/Remove Progs.

Really weird...thanks to everyone for helping on this...the DFS features is the only reason I upgraded to R2!

Wondering, can I re-run the setup for R2?

One problem I'm seeing...all the documentation I'm reading at Microsoft talks about 2 discs...I only received one. I was thinking maybe that was because it's an SBS Upgrade, but I'm not sure....maybe that's the problem? I was never actually prompted for a 2nd disk....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back