Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find how many Hard drive partitions are there

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay59

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
I have a seagate hard drive with 40 GB .I deleted a existing software on HD and I am trying to install Oracle 9i on it but my system showing no space .when checked under C drive it shows only 2.00 GB but my system is 40 GB .
do i mean there are more disk partitions on it if so how to check how many partitions are there.and how to increase virtual memery.I formated my hard drive .any help is appreciated

Jay59,

You didn't tell us what OS you're running... That would be helpfull to know!

However, if you have Win9x/ME, then you can use FDISK to tell you how many partitions and their sizes - just type FDISK from the command prompt (or the run box in the start menu) and hit enter. Beware -only change things if you know what you're doing!!

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

Thanks DKDUDE Os in NT4 .How could i check this how many partitions are there and i need to format entire disk and start loading new application from the scratch.can u help me possible with steps.Thanks in advance

Go to start, administrator tools, disk administrator. Each disk is represented by a number, i.e.. Disk0, Disk1 and so on. You will see on the right hand side of each disk a color bar. If there are any partitions on the disk it will be represented by a drive letter or give you the partition information.

NT starts with a fat16 partition when you first install (even if you choose NTFS - it converts the fat16 in this case). And although it has a 'special' fat16 which allows 4GB partition, likely set up as normal 2GB.

As Comtec17 says - run disk administrator (you can also create/format new partitions there).

You could also insert your windows cd and go to create partition and it will show you how many you have in there. a tad less complex. and just quit the setup and nothings modified.

Itsmillertime777 - don't understand how booting machine from NT install CD and running through part of the install process is 'a tad less complex' than running the Windows NT tool designed to allow you to display and update partition information from within Windows! (not to mention the possibility of accidentally continuing with the install process past there....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back