Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find an email address on my server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsd2003

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
I recently created a new distribution list and have not been able to send mail to it. When I looked at the properties for this group I saw that the email address had become group2@mydomain.com and I know that I didn't enter the '2'.

When I tried to manually change the email address, it returned an error saying "This email address already exists." But I can't find it.

I know that I and a few others have several email addresses that point to the same mailbox, but when I enable the email address View in ADU&C I only see the primary email address. Is there a way to dump EVERYTHING into a file that I can search and find where "group@mydomain.com" is?

Speed trick:
Send an email to group@mydomain.com and put a not in to whoever receives it NOT to delete it contact you. Put a return receipt on it to check.
Then open the message and double clickt the TO address (the group). You can then see the Exch headers.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Or, if you open Active Directory, right-click the server and select find. There is lots of options there.

The email to group@mydomain.com was just sitting in my local delivery queue with nowhere to go.
I found the "find" tool within ADU&C to be useless. Using the "email address" field it couldn't even find my primary email address.

The answer turned out to be in Public Folders. I had a public folder named "group" and it had an email address associated with it of, you guessed it, group@mydomain.com.

Now I do have another one in a similar situation. I used to have a public folder named "bunch" which would have had an associated email address of bunch@mydomain.com. I've since deleted that public folder, but it still won't let me give a regular distribution group named "bunch" the address. Deleting the public folder should have released any attributes associated with it, no?

Strange your Find does not work.
If you just looked for the word 'group' it should have returned anything with that word in in, including the address.
Try the dame for just 'bunch', you never know.

It's true that AD search only returns your primary proxyaddress. I started using a free product called ldapbrowser from ldapbrowser.com that can do the trick. With this you can search for secondary proxy-addresses and even export them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back