Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find a computer's ID No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william6789

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
I am studying to install a software in a computer from a win2000 server, and the instruction in Active directroy win2000 ask me first to find a remote computer's ID, and the number can be find from its BIOS. But I could not find it from the computer's Bios, can anyboy help me?

BTW, can you tell me how to remote install a software from a serve to a local computer?

Thanks

'a software' .. ??
Not very informative. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

I want to remote update some application application software , such as office 2000, from my server.

Thanks

If u want to install remotely.. Go to Start|Run|and type in "Risetup" and configure from there. As far as the ID you need to know the computer name

you can find the global uniquie ID in the BIOS this is the computer ID they are talking about I had the same problem

Boot from the RIS disk or PXE network card and it will tell you what the GUID is. Its a hexadecimal value in the format (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}. If there is no GUID given you can use the mac address on the network card instead eg. 00000000-0000-0000-00046145D167.

Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back