Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to fill-in docproperties before editing a sjabloon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

holle400

Programmer
Dec 17, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I have to restyle the sjabloons used by our department and I want them to use some non-standard docproperties in MsWord by default.

So if they pick a sjabloon, they first have to fill-in these properties like 'reference' and titel, before they can make the document.

Does anyone have an idee?

Thnx in advance
Ewald

Hi Ewald,

Prompting for them in the Document_New Event in the Template seems about the easiest. Something like
Code:
Titel = InputBox("Titel?")
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties("Titel").Value = Titel
If Err.Number <> 0 Then _
    ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties.Add Name:="Titel", _
                                                LinkToContent:=False, _
                                                Value:=Titel, _
                                                Type:=msoPropertyTypeString

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Hi Tony,

Thnx for the code. It works great. How do I get it started from using the template to create a new document. Do I have to make a new class or object?
I'm new to VB(A), so I hope the questions are'nt that stupid.

@StuckInTheMiddle
Sorry for the incorrect word. Sjabloon is dutch for template.

Greetings,
Ewald

Hi Ewald,

[ul][li]Edit the template.[/li]
[li]Go to the VBE (Alt+F11)[/li]
[li]If you don't see the project explorer press Ctrl+r[/li]
[li]Find the entry for your template - (TemplateProject(YourTemplateName) (misschien is het anders in het Nederlands) and expand it[/li]
[li]Underneath it you will see Microsoft Word Objects[/li]
[li]Underneath that you will see ThisDocument[/li]
[li]Double click on ThisDocument[/li]
[li]At the top of the main window there are two dropdowns. From the left hand one, select Document[/li]
[li]From the right hand dropdown, select New - it should default to this anyway[/li]
[li]Add the code in the Document_New procedure that you now have[/li][/ul]

That should be it. Close the template and base a new document on it - the code should run.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Hi Tony,

To test this i made a new document vbtest.dot. When I create a new document based on vbtest.dot, I get a document based on vbtest.dot, but nothing happens.

Is there something else I have to do?

Thx in advance

Ewald

No, you shouldn't have to do anything else.

Code in a Document_New procedure in a template's ThisDocument module should run automatically when a new document is based on the template - unless you have macros disabled.

Just to be absolutely sure - vbtest.dot is a Word template, isn't it? Just giving it a .dot suffix doesn't make it a template, you must save it as a template.

Enjoy,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Tnx in the first place.

You were right. The security for macro's were set to maximum. They have been set the medium now.

Thnx for the help so far.[thumbsup2]

Gr.
Ewald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back