Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Extract Crystal Report File version information

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupaSi

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
GB
I have a number of (apparently) Crystal Report files that in need to edit and I need to know which version of Crystal Reports the files were saved using. Is there any way of determining, from the rpt files which version they were written with?

Some background information:
We use a 4 year old application that was written in Delphi throughout the company and it uses a number of rpt files for invoicing, etc. Since I don't have source code, or for that matter any Delphi experience, I have no easy way of rewriting these rpt files.

The program has the following dependency:
QRPT30.DPL - Delphi QuickReport Component Package - v3.0.5.83
I *assume* that this is the library that the app uses to process reports.

I have Crystal Reports 4 from a Visual Studio install, plus Crystal Reports for .NET as well. CR 4 can't read these files but can apparently create compatible, readable reports for use with the app. .NET can read them and edit them, but cannot save them as older versions - when the app tries to open them after modifiying with .NET, it crashes.

I guess what I'm ultimately after is a method of working out what version these reports are written in so I can work out which 'legacy' app like perhaps Quick Reports 2 I'd need to get.

BTW, upgrading the Delphi Apps is not an option.... ;-)

The Report object in the RDC model doesn't have a property or method to return this type of information.

hth,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Delphi Quick Reports are a different animal than Crystal Reports...I have programmed in Delphi for a quite a while and know they are different...I would suggest installing Delphi and then trying to edit the reports there...do you know the version of Delphi that was used?

Jason,

I've looked futher into the apps and, based on the dependencies, it looks like the apps were written using Delphi 3 - the following DPLs are linked by the apps:

VCL30.DPL, VCLDB30.DPL, VCLSMP30.DPL, VCLX30.DPL, QRPT30.DPL and TEE30.DPL.

These are all identified as Borland Delphi libraries with version number of 3.0.5.83 or 3.0.5.93, so I guess it's Delphi 3.

I don't have nor plan to get Delphi since I don't have access to the source code. What I really need to do is edit the existing reports (add stuff to them) and be able to save them in their original file formats so the apps will accept them ok. Any ideas?

I don't think (but don't know for sure) that you can modify quick reports outside of quick reports...send me one of the templates and I'll see if I can open it my copy of delphi here...I have a copy of d3 at home so if it seems to work I'll try that too

jason.lord@trintech.com

Jason,

Thanks for the offer, but the reports contain confidential information and I cannot distribute them outside of my corp environment. I'll have to find another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back