Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to extract a form's url? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khashyar7

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
CA
Hi,

I need to get a form's url to pass to a window that is opening:

newWindow = window.open(myForm.url???, "TERMS", "height=600,width=790,screenX=0,screenY=0,scrollbars");

What method would return myForm's url address?

Thanks,

Kash

I think the thing you're looking for is window.location:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
[!]alert(window.location);[/!]
</script>

By the way, I see you've been a member of the forum for about 7 months now so surely you have a good understanding of how it works. You might wanna do something about all the dashes (-) you have in the far right column of your profile:
-kaht

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?
sheepico.jpg

khashyar7 said:
What method would return myForm's url address?

Forms do not have "URL addresses". They are placed within HTML pages which have URLs, and the forms themselves can have URLs in their action attribute which denote where they will be submitted to.

Would it be either of these which you are after, or something else entirely? If the latter, you'd need to explain a lot clearer.

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Since the solution to the other problem that I had posted seemed easier to apply (required less modification of the code), I resorted to that one as an alternative:

"how to delegate a form's submit to a new window to be opened"

however, after making the changes realized that that one's not working either and waiting for a suggestion on that post, yet so far no luck !

thanks for your replies though.

Kash

Kaht,
Could you please explain further what you mean by I should do something about the -s !?
By passing ratings on replies, etc?
How would I do that?

Thanks,

Kash

At the bottom of each post given to you by another user, there is a link that says "Thank ------ for this valuable post". It is a system set up on the site to allow you to vote for a person as tipmaster of the week for their help they have given you. I (as well as others) also feel that it is a good way to pick out particularly good answers from the list of all the threads. If I do a search on a particular criteria on this site and am looking for the answer to a question, I will read the threads which have the purple stars first - as I can usually assume that these threads have the proper answers.

In addition to all of that, it's also just a nice way to say "thanks for the help". I have seen individuals on the site that have asked 100+ questions and posted less than 20 replies and awarded no stars. I rarely answer questions from users with profiles like that. To me, people like that seem to be hungry to get answers, but are unappreciative of the help that they get because they don't give out tipmaster stars or even bother to drop a post just to say thanks.

On the flip side, it can often just mean that the people are unaware how the system works. So I'll drop a subtle note (like I did above for you)

-kaht

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?
sheepico.jpg

Kaht,

Thanks a lot for tip. I had no idea ! I guess I was one of those "starving for answers" guys so far...

also the reason for the fact that I don't have replies is that I really see more knowledgeable guys than myself here, so don't wanna mislead people with my limited understanding...
but will definately catch up on giving generous stars to great answers :)

Hope that's good enough as for my share !

Kash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back