Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Extend Disk Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have a 160GB drive and I erroneously created an 8GB primary partition (I meant it to be 80GB). Is there an easy way to extend this partition without having to reformat the drive? I tried DISKPART but got the error "The volume you have selected may not be extended". I've also looked at Partition Magic (which only works on workstations) and Acronis Disk Director(same, trial version only works on workstations).

Any ideas?

Convert to dynamic disk, extend volume. You cannot go back to basic after you convert it though, so not to sure if that will affect you in any way. Look into that once. Good luck.

What Cstorms says is correct (and actually cheapest and quickest), I would avoid extending a system partition with any tools though. If this is a new server, then it shouldn't take that long to re-build, otherwise yes.. you can convert to dynamic (ensure you have a good backup though) and then extend (bare in mind you need free space to extend you just can't borrow from another partition).

Thanks for the useful information. I've searched the web over but haven't found a solution. It's a relatively new server so I guess I'll rebuild it. I'm too cheap to pay $500 for software that I'll probably only use once.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back