Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to export from OE then import into OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfranz

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
Hello friends,

I use OE6 on both my desktop and laptop (the latter while traveling). While away I pickup and send email on the laptop. When I return home I want to take the Inbox, Sent and Deleted emails from the laptop and place them into the desktop directories (without overwriting any of the desktop files.

How can I do this?

TIA

BillvV

In theory, you could try locating the OE folders on your laptop. I don't know which Windows you're using but you may find it in Windows > Local Settings > Application Data > Microsoft > Outlook >name of file containing mail folders . Copy file onto floppy/cd and move to other PC.

Set up a second identity on PC's OE. Overlay this identitiy's files with what is on the floppy/cd. Then switch to your standard identity and import all of the files from the second identity. The second identity's files will get overlaid each time you copy from the floppy/cd but they will be only added into the first identity's folders.

Hi wilfranz,

NOTE: This method will not prevent duplicate emails.

You'll need to share out your laptop's OE datafolder located at (if your W2K/XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Your Identification String}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Once you've done this go back to your desktop and open OE. Then go to File - Import - Messages - Select 'Microsoft Outlook Express', click 'Next' - Check the radio box for 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory' click 'Next' - Browse for the shared folder on the laptop and select it, click 'Next' - Select either 'All Folders' or just the ones you want, then click 'Next'.

The files will then copy across to your desktop. Finally click 'Finish'. Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Thanks guys. That's what I'm looking for. I'll try both methods.

I appreciate the help.

Bill vV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back