Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to execute an output of a select statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudi

Programmer
May 18, 2001
NL
Hi,

For example i have a select statement that generates me a several new select statement and I would like to execute them!

That means that I would like to execute the output, result of the select statement!

Anyone?

bye
Andrej

Youe need to use what they call dynamic SQL where you put you statements into a string within a stored porcdure and then execute the procedure. Something like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE Test
AS

--Start of procedure
declare @sql varchar (2000)
select @sql = 'select * from tablename'
exec (@sql)
--End of procdure

Execute Test

Rick.

Well I found that, but now I have another problem on which I didnt think before!

My output is about 100 select statements which are pretty long. And I have to execute them by using UNION ALL clause!

I mean, I need the union of all my select statements which I get from my output!

So, there is a problem with declaration, cause you're not allowed to declare variable as ntext or text!

what to do??

bye
Andrej

That's one pretty big SQL statement if it's going over 8,000 characters. I think if it was that large then I would be concerned as to how efficient the query would be.

Can you not split this down into more then one @sql variable?? You could maybe use some temporary tables and then use a final @sql variable to select the results from them.

Rick.

Sounds to me like your database needs redesigning. But if you REALLY want to do this, I suggest using a cursor and a temporary table. In script, first create a temporary table to hold the output, then open a cursor based on your original query. Looping through the output of your query, one record at a time, construct a piece of SQL to append records into the temporary table, using the select statement as the source of the records. When you've processed all your select statements, close and deallocate the cursor, and just do select * from temporary table. Lastly, drop the temporary table. I have done this before, but I think you really have to justify it to yourself, and that there isn't a completely different way of doing this which is more practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back