Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to exchange hostname and IP address between two AIX servers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lramsb4u

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2012
US
Hi all,

I am trying to exchange hostname and IP address of two AIX machines.

But i am confused as how to change it ?
do i need to use "smitty mktcpip" or "smitty tcpip" ?

what is the difference between smitty mktcpip and smitty tcpip ?

Also anymore steps to follow or just updating using smitty is enough (hoping that no reboot is required)

Also below is the procedure i want to use for the whole process of swapping hostname and IP address:

1) remove server A from network and update hostname and IP address (to Server B's hostname and IP) using smitty

2) move network connection cables from server B to server A

3) update hostname and IP of server B (to that of server A's old values)

4) attach network cables removed from server A to server B

Does this procedure is good to go ?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
Considering you have Server A and Server B.
I assume you have the basic UNIX/AIX knowledge, if you have any monitoring setup please do disable it.

Smitty tcpip will take you to main page of tcpip configuration where as mktcpip is the shortkey (smitty tcpip --> Minimum Confiuration & Startup, you avoid all this when you run mktcpip. But, you don't have to run tcpip or mktcpip.

1st login through console, after that go to server A and run,
Even if you have to change the physical cable. (If you are using VLAN adapter just change the VLAN ID)
smitty chinet and change "Current STATE" to detach (the network interface will be down)

Change the IP address (and subnet mask, if required)by running the same smitty chinet command ( remember do NOT bring up the network interface not yet).

Now run # smitty hostname --> set the hostname --> <new hostname> and enter

Then run # uname -S <new hostname>

Do the same on the Server B
Smitty chinet --> down the interface, change the IP.
smitty hostname --> change the hostname
uname -S <new hostname>

Once you are confirmed that changes are in place.
go to Server A and run
# smitty chinet --> select the interface (enX)--> and change the "Current STATE" to up (this will start the service and 'OK' will appear)
do the ping test and ssh to the server using hostname and then IP address.

Do the same on Server B.

Let me know how it goes.

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

Thank you SARFARAZ for the detailed explanation.

Sorry for asking this again but,
Do i need to smitty chinet first just to make interface down and then again smitty chinet to change IP ?
or can i do both changes at once ?

also just curious to know, can i do these things with smitty mktcpip ?
[one more thing: there is no smitty mktcpip command right ? only smitty tcpip or just "mktcpip" is this right ?]

Not a problem,
Here how it goes, what I recommend is down the interface 1st and then change the IP address. This way you avoid any unexpected.

mktcpip command you can use it, if you want to configure an IP address on new interface (like en1 or en2). But, if you only have one interface (suppose en0, you do smitty chinet, meaning you are changing net). You down the interface change the IP.

As i said earlier, smitty 'mktcpip' is a short cut key, rather than taking a long route (by typing tcpip and selecting the menu).

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back