Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to evaluate a NetApp server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chud67

Technical User
Aug 2, 2010
US
Hello, I am familiar with HP storage but recently was asked to evaluate a NetApp on short notice (within the next few days) and see if it is serving up storage to a Windows backup server. This NetApp was set up by a previous contractor, and no one here knows anything about it.
I don't know much about NAS in general or NetApp in particular, I am more of a SAN guy with an emphasis on HP's EVA line.
I have downloaded some NetApp quick start guides, but I was wondering if any of y'all with experience in NetApp could give me an idea what things you would look at first if you were asked to evaluate a NetApp to see if it was configured properly. Just some basics to get me started.
Thanks in advance.

over which protocol will you be serving storage ? cifs, iscsi or fc ?
- if over iscsi or fc, check that the lun type is windows_2008 or windows ( win2003 server ),
- igroup type should be windows as well
- check if IP is configured redundantly ( multiple links, using a vif ( virtual interface,trunk )
- if it's a netapp cluster, check cluster status with cf status to see cluster is configured
- make sure both controllers have identical settings ( compare output of the "options" command), check as well if both controllers have same licenses
- verify you have spare disks available to rebuild raid arrays

if possible, post the output of igroup show -v, lun show -v , rdfile /etc/rc ( will be a lot of output :) )

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

RmgBelgium, thanks for your reply. I have figured out a lot, but you gave me some more things to check.

I have determined that the NetApp is clustered (two nodes).
It is serving space via iSCSI to three initiators.
There are several aggregates (groups of disks) which contain volumes, which have qtrees (no quotas).

Strangely, no shares.

check if IP is configured redundantly ( multiple links, using a vif ( virtual interface,trunk )"

It has several interfaces, some are up, some are down:
e0M (down),
e4a (up),
e4b (down),
Bond1 (e4c, e4d) is up,
Bond2 (e0a, e0b) is up.

Is there any convention to these interfaces and their naming? For example, is it common to have a management interface and several additional interfaces. I assume Bond1 and Bond2 are teamed?
Thanks for any help.

Ok, I have done some reading and I see that e0M is the management interface. Since it is down, that explains why I can't get to the FilerView through the web.

there is no convention to the naming, you can name the virtual interface as you like, but good practice is to give it a meanful name like vif_nfs or vif_iscsi or sth, so you know for what the interface is mainly used.If you can provide me the serial number of one of the controllers, I can have a look if there are no anomalies in the config if you want.

best regards,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back