Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to establish a trust between 2000 and NT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krawz187

MIS
Mar 19, 2002
US
We have an NT domain and a 2000 domain. Does anyone know how to get a trust going between the two? We did the active directory domains and trust stuff, but from what the other IT guys tell me, theres some netbios problems...or something. Even a URL post here would be very helpful.

Thanks!

check [1C] entry on wins-server for both domains.
regards

Do you have WINS servers in both domains?? If you do, ensure that there is a push/pull relationship between the two. Force a couple of replications (this could take a while depending on the size of your network). After that, you should be AOK.

If not, can you give an error code to go on?? (the most common for this problem is "remote domain cannot be contacted" or "Unable to find any logon servers")...MPM

We used to have a trust between our NT domain and W2K until we installed W2K SP2 on the DCs. Stopped working after that. It was easier for us to get rid of the remaining NT machines than to fix the problem! What SP are you running?

Well I able to make trust relationship between w2k and nt. Go to your active directory domains and trusts, and then right click on ur dns and choose properties. Click on Trust tab. Now here u can add ur trust relationship detail. U can add the name of ur windows nt domain. U also have to do the same at ur nt server. Open user manager on windows nt and click trust relationship. Add w2k domain name on nt. Make sure ur domain name on windows nt will be the name u given pre-windows domain name at windows 2000.

I'm running no service pack w2k but running latest service pack on nt.

I just did the same thing parvinder69 mentioned and it works fine.

or add two lines on the bottom of c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts file

#ip-address of the NT server, domain name
10.0.0.197 INSITE
10.0.0.197 "INSITE \0x1b"

then go to WINS setup and check
enable LMHOSTS Lookup

I am not sure this will work for you or not. The reason I am doing this because our WINS is kind of messed up so I ask it to look for lmhosts.sam file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back