Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to erase the cache ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaTesla1

Programmer
Feb 9, 2009
CA
Hi,

I run this report and takes me 1 minute of processing time.
I re-Tun the same report a second time and now it takes only 5 seconds ... I heard it is because of the cache.
I need to make tests on this report in order to reduce the report processing time from 1 min to half that time if possible.

For that i need to know the REAL execution time when the users executes the report for the FIRST time. For the moment
I am the only person using the report.

QUESTION: HOW TO ERASE THE CACHE ? WHERE adn how ? I need to erase it after each execution.

Thanks !

Thanks.

I found out on another cognos forum that i can simply se to "NO" the query "Use Local Cache" property on my report.

This seems to be working for me.

See ya !

yes, it is.

but sometimes my Analysis Studio also has THE CACHE just after I refresh the cube, and i can't find how to issue this problem. It confusing me for ? long time.

Hi decode360,

This ALSO what i received on another forum when i prompted my question:

=======================================
Reply from winson on 8/3/2009 11:25 AM
Enable Session Caching
In Report Studio, Query Studio, and Cognos Viewer the results for previous requests to the database are cached for the duration of a session when session caching is enabled. To increase performance, for subsequent queries, Cognos 8 uses cached results for some actions rather than accessing the database. This applies when the same results can be used or when the new results are a subset of the cached results.
However, because performance may be affected, you may want to leave session caching disabled in the following situations:
-- users expect up-to-date results directly from the database for every query, for example new records that were added to the database in the interim
-- you want to limit the number of times the cache is accessed during a session
Note: When session caching is enabled, users can force database access by using the run with options button to run a report. The session cache feature is disabled by default.
Steps
1. Copy the c8_location/configuration/CQEConfig.xml.sample file to c8_location/bin and rename it CQEConfig.xml.
2. Open the c8_location/bin/CQEConfig.xml in an editor.
3. Ensure that your editor supports saving files in UTF-8 format.
4. Find the queryReuse parameter and change the value to 1.
5. Save the CQEConfig.xml file.
6. Using Cognos Configuration, stop and then restart Cognos 8.
Method (2)
In Report studio. go to query explorer click on the query then go to the property on the left side.
where you find the option --- use local cache --- NO.
If any one have more idea pls share with us.
Thanks
winson.
=======================================

I didn't try it because the first option is working fine for me. Well it seems that the execution time of the reports takes the same time always. Godd luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back