Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to ensure foxpro program can be excuted at remote pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyyonk

Programmer
May 6, 2002
SG
Hi all,
I got a program written in foxpro and compiled into an exe. The program is residing in several pcs at distributed sites. The program is suppose to run at a certain time and pick whatever necessary data. Upon completion, file is emailed back to hq. We are currently running 2 jobs to ensure the files are created and emailed back. first one is hq initiated and the second is a form of backup based on pc windows scheduler. But still i am not able to receive all files from the distributed sites. The connection from hq to distributed sites is ISDN.

Would like some comments. Is it because of foxpro program or whatsever. Thanks.

skyyonk

It is unclear which of the of the 2 backups is working and wich one is not. Sounds like the e-mailing part of it is not working, but can explain the process you are using to acheive this. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

mgagnon

Basically, i am working in a distributed system environment.
Data needs to be downloaded to HQ on a daily basis. A program is run to generate a set of files which are zipped and emailed to HQ. Emailing part is working fine. It is the program that needs to be executed to generate those files at the remote end that is causing alot of problems. Sometimes the program did not run and nothing comes back to HQ. Presently, we are using 2 methods to run this program at the remote site. The first is a tcp program which connects to the remote site pc and activates the exe. The second is like a form of backup for the first method and i am depending on windows 98 scheduler to activate the exe. The issue now is with the 2 methods implemented, i am still not able to get 100% of the files from all the remote sites.
The problems faced are files are sometimes not created and created but not emailed back to HQ. Hope, you can provide me with a better solution. Thax alot.

skyyonk

It is the program that needs to be executed to generate those files at the remote end that is causing alot of problems. Sometimes the program did not run and nothing comes back to HQ.

There are many variables that can affect this situation (Most of which are most likely unrelated to FoxPro).
[ol][li]Is there someone at remote site that monitors the program?[/li]
[li]Does the program in effect run on its own? (Without the Windows scheduler)[/li]
[li]And if it does, does it produce data? [/li]
[li]How stable is the environment of the remote site? Ie: Power outage, network connection, access to the internet.[/li][/ol]

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Answers to the questions
1) Nobody is around to monitor the program
2) No, the program does not run on its own. A tcp program is used to connect to the remote pc to activate the exe
3) The program is run to produce a set of files which are zipped and ship back to HQ via email
4) Remote site is normal desktop pc and the connection is ISDN based. Power outage is possible but i think network connection is not an issue as the connection is direct.

skyyonk

What I meant was, does the program actually do what it is suppose to do without fail (100 time in a row), if it is run as an executale (not with the scheduler)?

The monitoring part I meant, maybe consider putting someone to monitor the situation until you have found the problem. Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back