Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to enable telnet on linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjmorse

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US
I just set up a Linux server running fedora. How do I enable telnet and rsh to this machine?
Also, if anyone knows, can I make this a YP slave server if my master is running NIS+ ?

in the directory /etc/xinetd.d there should be a file called telnetd. change the line reading 'disable = yes' to 'disable = no', then restart xinetd (service xinetd restart)

As for rshd, you need it installed and can do the same with its file.

SSH can accomplish both functions of telnet and rsh.. use it instead!!

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

Yes, I know ... should use ssh. That works fine. Just can't get one of the mgrs to use ssh.
Thx for the tip on which file to edit. Telnetd now responds ... but we still can't login. Is there another file to edit???

Ok, got telnet service running but still can't login:

Ok, with ssh or rsh I don't get any messages, but telnet I do:
Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting initial credentials

I can su to myself, but something isn't quite right with NIS.

Sounds like your kerberos configuration isn't set up correctly (if that's what your trying to use..!)

If you're not going to use kerberos authentication I might suggest that you disable the service using "setup" ...

Otherwise, if you *do* need to use kerberos then check your krb5.conf

1) IF you're trying to log in as "root" this is usually disabled.

2) Telnet isn't very secure, you may want to look into using SSH which may even be installed as it's usually provided for in most distrobutions

What bitFuzzy said. TelNet send clear text. One for suggesting for the use of ssh.

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back