Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOw to enable SMTP in Exchange server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixlu

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2002
SG
Our company are using Exchange server on windows NT4.o Terminal server now. Recently I found that if I use Outlook Express to connect to the mailbox, I can only receive mails from the server but not be able to send mails through the server. I think it is because Outlook Express mail Receival by POP3 but Sending mails using SMTP.And SMTP is not enabled in the server. Is it true?
ANyone know how to enable the SMTP protocol in Exchange server?Please advise,thanks a lot.

Try to install a Internet Mail Service.
File -> New Other -> Internet Mail Service.

Thank you very much. Can you tell me what should I take care when I add the SMTP for sending mails?

In short you will need to route the mail to an ISP and enable inbound and outband within transfer mode on the connections tab of the IMS properties page

But I do not use ISP for mail service, it is the exchange server in our company doing the jobs.Is that true I just need to add a new IMS and then make sure the DNS my server is using can recongnize the host name of my Exchange server, and then enable the `rerouting the incoming SMTP mails`?

You need to register a domain and have your ISP map the MX record to your static IP and then you can configure your mail server IMS to use that
if you don't, SMTP doesn't know where to go, with Exchange 5.5, you do not need to host your own DNS server, you can use your ISP, as long as your MX record points to your exchange server, you are set to go

Make sure your ISP's reverse DNS setup properly on your MX record, or else there will be certain domian you can't send mail to or receive from

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back