Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enable ringing on incoming NS 8x24 calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logickle

Programmer
Jul 9, 2009
US
Hi, all. I've inherited the administration of our Norstar 8x24 phone system but I don't know Norstar programming so I may be asking something obvious. Sorry if my question is a little verbose, I don't know the lingo so I have to observe and describe, thanks in advance for your patience.

We have hired a receptionist so we need our receptionist's M7324 to ring on incoming calls. Currently it rings at most once then immediately goes to voicemail. The voicemail is the company voicemail, i.e. it greets the caller then lets the caller enter an extension to be forwarded to an internal phone. Note: this works even if the M7324 is unplugged.

How can I let the receptionist phone ring N times before the system forwards the caller to the company voicemail? How do I determine what extension the company voicemail is "attached" to?

Thanks!

Doug

There is quite a bit more involved than just making the reception phone ring. It might serve you to call your local tech and pay for an hour of his time.
You will spend a lot more time than that trying to figure it all out.

Wayne T

Thanks for your time, Wayne. I'm getting more comfortable finding my way around the menu system, I think if I knew what the relevant settings *might* be I can experiment. So e.g. is there an auto-attendant feature for the entire 8x24 system, or a night service feature for it? Or are those features only per-line? If so then if I knew what line incoming calls go to (or how to determine that) then perhaps I could disable AA / night service for that line...

Under f983, go to your company greeting and record a second or two of dead air, this will be the easiest way to go.
Then under f983, press AA, press table, table 1, AA menu prompt(N), press OK. At this point it should say morning 1, press next to CCR tree disable. press chng, then press 1.
This should enable your tree.
Good Luck.

Wayne T

Leave the auto attendant as-is except increase the number of rings before the phone is answered. Using feature * 0, inventory all your lines to see which lines are ringing on the receptionist's phone and change the rings for all of them. Or just go through the lines in the greeting table and change all of them that are currently set to Answer mode - AA. This is all under Feature 983.

Thanks. The bumping of the # of rings was what I was looking for, and I found the following link which gives the step by step for doing so:

I'm confused by the lingo though, what is a "line"? Is that the same as an extension? Or is it an outside line? In any case, our reception extension is 200, which is the only line showing AA set. I change the # of rings from 0 to 6, confirm that the setting sticks (I exit programming and return), but when I call our main number it still picks up immediately.

Is there a way to confirm that the 200 extension is the one associated with our outside line? I do notice a half-ring on our receptionist phone when an outside call is received, and I know our receptionist phone is extension 200 b/c that phone rings when 200 is dialed from other extensions.

Thanks,

Doug

Turned out the line for which AA was set was different from the extension. Not sure of the details, the phone guy who set us up originally talked me through it. Thanks for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back