Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enable a usb 2.00 header cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

ISP
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Is it possible please to enable a usb 2.00 header cable?

The header is intended to provide 2 additional usb 2.00 ports to the two original 1.1 usb ports.

No new hardware detected - header cable only functions at 1.1

Cannot find way of installing EHCI host. Device manager shows Via Rev 5 or later USB universal host controller (is this some recognition of USB 2.00?)

Is it only possible to run USB 2.00 via plug and play or is there a way of installing drivers and enabling a USB 2.0 header cable please?

Details:

Mobo: Asus CUV-4X (P3 1Mhz)
Chipset: South Bridge System Chipset: Features the Via VT82C686A PCI Super I/O integrated peripheral controller supports UltraDMA/66, which allows burst mode data transfer rates of upto 66.6MB/sec,AC97 audio, and four USB ports.
BIOS: Phoenix Award v6.00PG

Any help most welcome.

Many thanks,
Eponymous

Have you added a USB 2.0 card? If not, this 7 year old motherboard comes with 4 USB 1.1 ports, none of which will ever operate at USB 2.0...

Perhaps I misunderstand your problem?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Is this header cable a card that plugs into the MB or does it plus into one of the other USB ports?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

LawnBoy and Acewarlock,

Many thanks. You have confirmed what I thought was probably the case. With a card I could achieve USB 2.0. Simply connecting a USB 2.0 header cable will function at USB 1.1 of the current USB 1.1 ports.

Thanks again,
Eponymous

Header cable... I guess you meant a hub. Yup the source has to be 2.0 if you want the hub to perform at 2.0.

You may buy a USB 2.0 adapter card to get into one of your PCI slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back