Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enable 10 digit dialing on Opt 81?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69cat

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2010
US
Well, it appears as though some of my local dialing must now be allowed to use 7 digit dialing? I've had complaints about certain numbers not being reachable that were last week.... so I assume it's because my switch is only allowing 7 digit local dialing? I noticed that I get a re-order as soon as I hit that 9th digit? So this an easy fix to allow 10 instead of 7 digit dialing.... long distance seems to work at 10, so I presume it's allowing that because of the leading 1? I don't really know much on the routing side of these things? Our contractor is no longer in business - so I am kind of on my own..... out of my league? It's an OPT 81. Any advice or input greatly appreciated....

I'm assuming you are using BARS for routing and not direct trunk access? If you are using BARS then to allow 10 digits you would need to program each NPA and NXX that requires it. For example

123-4567 you can dial as 7 digits and it routes fine

But now you have
123-4568 that requires the NPA in front of it, like this

214-123-4568, seem right so far?

Probably the easiest thing to do is program 214-123-4568 as a SPN, but first you have to determine how many of these there are or maybe it would be easer to force everyone to dial 10 for everything. This is extensive programming and not something you just "allow"
unfortunately.

Hmmm - OK, that sounds way more involved than I am probably capable of..... the worst part is so far, it's just random numbers we cant reach. Although I know they were supposed to push 10 digit dialing in our area if not nationwide? I may have to do a bunch of test calls in area codes and see what I can and can't dial..... but I know that I can reach some and not others in the same area codes.... I cant really test 10 digit dialing to easy without making substantial changes then huh? shucks.... I may be in the market for an old PBX guy.....

maybe Ill let it ride for awhile and let my users do the call testing for me.... let them give me the numbers they can't reach. Thanks for the thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back