Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Embed Word or Text or Excel file into pdf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnetar

Programmer
Sep 22, 2001
GB
Morning, everyone.

Was wondering if anyone knows how to do the following, please?

Can either a Word, text or Excel file be embedded into a .pdf document?

I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, and was successful, initially.
However I need the embedded files to be path/directory-independent, as the pdf document is to be uploaded to a web page.

(I sent a test pdf document to a colleague, but he obtained an error message, when clicking what was supposed to be the embedded object/file!).

Any ideas anyone, please (- bit at a loss here!)?
[From 'Googling' online I understand that this solution may be possible, via implementing some coding, but I really want to avoid this route if at all possible].

Many, many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom][atom]

Any reason you can't just use a hyperlink. Yes, relative referencing can be an issue. One option there if you know the address of the webpage where you are going to place it would be to use a full description on the hyperlink based on the final location of the file. Downside to that approach is 1) you can't test it until you post it, and 2) if there is any moving of the document between points, the link would need to be reset. Are both the .pdf and the embedded file going to exist in the same place or is the Word/Excel/etc. file going to be somewhere else?

Hi,

EMBEDDED or LINKED?

If you objects (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) are embedded, they are part of the pdf. Case closed!

If you objects (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) are linked, they are stored somewhere else, and er, uh...LINKED.

So why not EMBED these?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi Guys!

Many thanks for your responses.

ajh1, good points raised.

However our processes are such that the file needs to be embedded within the pdf document (in exactly the same way you would embed an Excel file within a Word document. If the Word doc is emailed to a colleague, say then clicking on the embedded object would automatically open the spreadsheet file).

Did try this as mentioned previously, but it was referencing the relevant folder on our network drive.

I had thought this would have been straight-forward within any pdf writer.

Any further ideas anyone?

Speak to you soon.

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom]

Hi there again.

Sorry, SkipVought just to respond to your message.
Yes, I DO want to embed both a text file and a spreadsheet file, into my pdf document.

I need my reader to be able to click on the object within the pdf doc, and have a spreadsheet open automatically.

Hope this is clearer/helps. I was successful with this once, but when another colleague tried to open the doc (after emailing it to him), an error msg was obtained.

Please help & many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom]

Then it was LINKED and not EMBEDDED!

Skip,
[sub]

Hi there (Skip, ajh1 et al).

Thanx for response.

So going back to my original request: how do I EMBED the file within the pdf doc, please?

As mentioned before, am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended.

Any ideas anyone, please?

Once again, many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Magnetar
[atom]

Maybe you ought to check in an Adobe forum, rather than an MS Office forum. like forum223.

Skip,
[sub]

Hi

Thanks Skip.

Help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Magnetar

[atom]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back