Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to eliminate auto logon? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deskey

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I have Windows 2000 Pro set up on my home computer and every time I boot up my computer, it automatically logs on. It shows the logon screen, then automatically shows the hourglass meaning it's logging on automatically. I see an EN at the left hand corner of the logon screen, what's that? Can anyone out there tell me how to disable that auto logon feature and make it so you have to enter a password every time you login?

Go to the Control Panel then to Users and Passwords. On the initial screen uncheck the box next to "Users must inter a username and password to use this computer." This will make everyone log on. As for the EN in the corner it is the language program telling you your default language is English. Does this help? James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional

Butchrecon,
I'll have to try that when I get to the house because my work computer has XP and in Control Panel, Users & Passwords in XP, that option isn't available. I think I tried that before, but it didn't work. I'll give it a try, or maybe I can find a Win2k Pro machine here at work at our test lab. I'll let you know what I found out. Thanks!!!

If the PC is part of a domain and you are not loggin in as a administrator then the option will not be there. IF the PC is not part of a domain then it should be there. Let me know. James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back