Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to do text search in Illustrator CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 13, 2009
US
Hi:

I have a bunch of Illustrator files in a folder. Suppose I want to find the file(s) that contains the word "sequenced", how would I do it?

Thanks,
Brian

...depends if the .ai files are saved with PDF compatibility, if they are then you can use acrobat/reader's "edit > search" function...

...if they aren't then you will have to open one by one and do it manually...

andrew

Yes, they are saved with PDF compatibility. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do the acrobat/reader's edit > search function thing? Thanks.

...choose edit > search in acrobat...

...choose "all pdf documents in", then the pull down menu, locate the folder of .ai files...

...type a word in the search for field...

...let acrobat do it's thing, you are then presented with a list of files it finds that word in...

andrew

Andrew:

Thanks for the instructions.

I don't have Reader. I use Adobe Acrobat Standard. Step #2: The pull down menu only shows DESKTOP, C-Drive, and all the other drives on the server. It does not allow me to choose a specific folder. I am doing the search now and it's taking a long time. So far, it has found some PDF files, but no AI files yet.

...well, i'm on mac and at the bottom of the pull down list i have the option to "browse for location...", this is in both Acrobat and the free Reader 9...

...i can only imagine that PC is the same...

andrew

...if your version of acrobat really doesn't allow specific folders then i would be surprised, in which case your best to get the free reader 9 and try with that...

andrew

Sorry Andrew, there is a "browse for location" at the bottom. Anyway I tried it, and it still does not find the AI file (saved with PDF compatibility).

...either the ai files don't have PDF enabled upon saving (no version lower than ai version 9 will support PDF compatibility), or the text isn't actually text, but rather converted to outlines...

andrew

I am using Illustrator CS3.

For Options, the following are checked:

1. Create PDF Compatible File

2. Use Compression

Note: I checked again. The text is actually text.

...can't really help you much further, other than suggesting you use the free reader 9...

...the likes of us mac users don't have these issues searching PDF files...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back