Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to do offline backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkroyal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
US
New to Oracle so please indulge me!

Running relatively old version of Oracle (8.1.7) on Windows 2000 Server. I want to do regular offline database backups using Backup Exec (and no, I do not have the Oracle Agent!).

Is there any method of automating the shutdown in Server Manager by incorporating into a DOS batch file?

At present I'm closing the database manually from Server Manager. I then run my backup procedure and restart the database manually after completion. What I'd like to do is add pre and post commands to my Backup Exec procedure so that everything is done automatically.

Any help and examples gratefully received.

Any reason you specifically want to do offline backups ?

I say this because if you do what you are proposing, and the database does not shutdown, for whatever reason, or restart, for whatever other reason, then you get no backup and the database is in an unusable state until someone intervenes.

Alex

Alex

Thanks for reply. My reasons are:

1. Old server with very limited disk space,
2. No Backup Exec Oracle Agent,
3. The database is not in use 24/7,
4. Short term solution until hardware & software upgrades later this year.

I realise the implications of stopping/starting database and a degree of manual intervention may well be involved.

write a .bat file which does:

net stop $ORACLE_SID
$backup_exec_stuff
set start $ORACLE_SID

schedule it (at ....)

you can do it w/sqlplus (svrmgrl is not needed since 8.1.x) but you'll have to put a privileged user's (ex. sys) password in the script.

Why can't you use EXP to dump the data and then backup the dump file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back