Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to dispose of a DDS4 tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williaday

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
Hi--

One of my users saved (by mistake) a VERY sensitive document on the network that was backed up on the DDS4 tape. I now have to permanently destroy the tape. I was wandering how others do this? Is there a device or some software? Or just good 'ole fashion burning? :)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
williaday

You could go to Radio Shack and buy a bulk eraser. Just make sure you don't turn it on near any tapes you want to keep or, worse, in your data center. :-0 James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

Dude you must have time on your hands dude.

Cut the the tape remove it from the case and bin it!!!

Cooking an DDS4 in an orange. This one is easy. Give everyone an DDS4 and an orange. Cut of the top of the orange. Empty the orange with a spoon so that the tape can be placed in the empty shell. Put back the part of the orange you cut off and place it in a (BIG) fire. The tape will be boiled in the juice off the orange and VOILÁ, a great DDS4 on orange. If anything remains of the tape, just get some alcohol, drop it over the leftovers, and just let it have it (burn it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back