Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to display BLOB field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajneedshelp

Programmer
Jan 21, 2008
US
Hi

I am using Crystal ver 9. I want to display a BLOB field on the report, not sure how to do it.

Thanks!
-AJ

What database are you using? How are you connecting to it - ODBC, Native connection, etc.? What's in the BLOB field that you want to display?

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Please answer ALL of the questions by hilfy.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Database: Oracle 10G
Connection: ODBC - Driver: CR Oracle ODBC Driver4.10

The field would multiple addresses in it (stored as a Blob)

for what its worth ...

I think I remember that Oracle has some SQL structure that will covert BLOB to Varchar (if it is text and not an image). I have no idea how to use it or where to get info on it but maybe that will send you in the right direction? From there you will probably have to create an SQL command and the field should no longer be a BLOB. My Oracle experience fortunately didnt last more thatn a week or so.

Good luck

My experience has been that blobs don't work through an ODBC connection from Oracle - you have to use a native connection.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

BLOB can not be directly displayed in the reprot just with a select and the column name. try googling the extract function in oracle. first you need to extract the particular coulmn in BLOB. What I mean is BLOB has large strings it may or may not be one single column value in it. you need to extract the exact value what you need depending from the BLOB.

Thanks
M

Blobs that contain image files can be directly displayed. Clobs with text can be directly displayed (IIRC). However, I can see how a Blob with non-binary text data would have to be converted to text in order to be available on a report.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back