Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to display a text field as point form in report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldlee

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
HK
Please kindly help. I have a text field. I would like to display it in point form.

For example
data in field:
Materials: stainless steel, size:1000 x 1000mm, etc.

In report I want it to show as:
Materials: stainless steel
size: 1000 x 1000mm
etc.

Also, how to make it not to occupy space in report if no data in the field

Create two text fields. One for material and one for size.

Make a query on these two fields and in the criteria put "Is Not Null" then base the report on this query.

Mark, thanks

Suppose the tblproduct has few feilds - PRODUCT, MATERIALS, FINISH, SIZE, but not every product has same properties. Some products do not have materials property, some product do not have finish and some have no size. When I make report, I find space is occupied by the field without data so that the report looks unsightly. Then I tried to put all data of all product property into one field called DESCRIPTION. Now I need to solve is to display it in point form.

Please help

Ronald

The page header of your report should have labels which identify the field it refers to. In the details section put the individual text boxes and then base the report on your query (where it eliminates records that are null).

Then when you open your report you should have a list of all your records, it would be pointless removing the labels if one particular field is null.. because on another record that field may not be null.. you get me?

Perhaps i've misunderstood but your report would be confusing without these labels. If you really wanted to get rid of them you could put an argument in your report that changes the visibility of the labels to no if there is no value in the corresponding text box.

Mark,

Thanks

Please kindly advise what argument I should put to change the visiblity.

your help is highly appreciated

Mark,

I found if a field in report is text, then make its height to minimum (as thin as a line) and set it to auto-size. If it is null, no space will be occupied and auto size it to suitable size if data in the field. such that, all records look sightly as

Product: grating
Materials: stainless steel
Finish: polished
Size: 1000 x 1000mm

Product: Gypsum Board
Size:1220 x 2440
(no space occupied by Materials and Finish when product - Gypsum has no such data of Materials and Finish)

However, it is not work when the field is based on a combo box. there is no auto-size to set.

Please advise the arguement to put so that can set auto-size for field of combo box

Thanks a lot.

Mark,

As per your proposed to do following

"The page header of your report should have labels which identify the field it refers to. In the details section put the individual text boxes and then base the report on your query (where it eliminates records that are null)."

I have tried but not working. Please advise do how to make the query where it eliminates records that are null

Thanks you very much

Mark,

As per your propose to do following

"The page header of your report should have labels which identify the field it refers to. In the details section put the individual text boxes and then base the report on your query (where it eliminates records that are null)."

I have tried but not working. Please advise do how to make the query where it eliminates records that are null

Thanks you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back