Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable on-board Video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamral

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
I need help to disable the on-board video which is defected.

The motherboard is a BIOSTAR - M6SBA. The chipset is SIS620/5595. I have tried there WEB site and I have sent them a email message with no sucess or response.

Thanks for any help.

There is one of two ways that this is done. Whithout looking up your motherboard, I would look in the BIOS and see if you can disable it there which is probably the case. Or it will be a jumper on the actual motherboard that will need to be moved.

I think that if you put a card into the AGP slot it will automatically disable the on-board video and use the AGP card - there is a setting in the BIOS that you can change if you want to use a PCI card instead of AGP.

Kim Leece.

Do you use the onboard video? Is this something that you need fixed? Is the onboard video causing problems? Is this one of those cases where the onboard video is sharring RAM and you are trying to free up the RAM? What system is this in i.e. home built, compaq, HP, Dell, etc. Lets get some information and try to figure out a solution to your problem.

WITH MOST MOTHERBOARDS IF YOU INSTALLL A CARD INTO THE AGP SLOT, THE MOTHERBOARD AUTOMATICALLY DISABLES THE ONBOARD CHIP.IF THIS IS NOT HAPPENING THEN YOU NEED TO CHANGE A JUMPER SETTING ON THE MAINBOARD SO REFER TO YOUR USER MANUAL AS THEY ARE DIFFERENT FOR EACH BOARD, IF THIS DOESNT WORK THEN IN YOUR BIOS CHANGE THE BOOT DEVICE TO AGP FROM PCI. ALSO SET THE AGP APERTURE SIZE TO 64MB, SOMETIME WITHIN THE BIOS ESPECIALLY AWARD BIOS THERE IS A SETTING TO DISABLE ONBOARD GRAPHICS AND SOUND. IF AFTER DOING ALL THIS IT STILL DOESNT WORK, RETURN THE CARD AS IT IS BORKEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back