Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Disable Login Screen Background Image 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
When I run my remote desktop connection it brings up the remote desktop login screen with a cute background image. But the background image takes days to load. How can I disable this? The background image does not show up once I'm logged in but it does show up at the login screen.

TIA!

Check the active desktop settings on the computer you're connecting to. If it is enabled, that is why.

-PuterLuver

OK, but the computer I'm logging into is running Windows Server 2003. I don't think this has an Active Desktop (but I could be wrong).

Use gpedit.msc to enable the policy 'Enforce removal of remote desktop wallpaper' under Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Terminal Services.

Specifies whether desktop wallpaper is displayed to remote clients connecting via Terminal Services.

You can use this setting to enforce the removal of wallpaper during a remote session. By default, Windows XP Professional displays wallpaper to remote clients connecting through Remote Desktop, depending on the client configuration (see the Experience tab in the Remote Desktop Connection options for more information). Servers running Windows Server 2003 do not display wallpaper by default to remote sessions.

If the status is set to Enabled, wallpaper never appears to a Terminal Services client.

If the status is set to Disabled, wallpaper might appear to a Terminal Services client, depending on the client configuration.

If the status is set to Not Configured, the default behavior applies.

This is set to enabled but I still get the wallpaper image at the login screen. It's removed once I log in.

I'm trying to get rid of the wallpaper at the login screen.

Regedit

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

set this to an empty field.

You can also change the color by modifiying the RGB values

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors\Background

255 255 255 is white
0 0 0 is black

SWEEEEEET! Thanks for the tip! That's just what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back