Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable Local policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelter

Technical User
May 22, 2002
CH
Hi,

someone play with gpedit.msc with admin rights, and now nobody can access the normal function of the PC!!!

Is it possible to restore registry normal settings ?
This PC is not wet on a domain

Thank you

Renuild the machine, U'll three times the time it takes to rebuild it trying to search for a solution which from my experience you wont find.

Did that person log on as admin? or did he use a regular user? What functions are you talking about?

If anything you can always go back to gpedit.msc and change the ones that has been changed. You only have 3 choices, not configured, enabled and disabled, as a default everything is set as not configured. Or just delete that profile and create a new one.

Hope this helps.

The user did that with administrator rights.

I can't open command prompt session, task manager or run programs. I try to create a new user with Dameware NT Utilities, but I've always the same result.

I can acces the registry remotly, but wich keys to change ??

thanks again

How long have you spent on this issue now?
Rebuild the machine.

Try this, do a ctrl+alt+delete, choose task manager\under applications\ new task. Type gpedit.msc and hit enter. That should let you in.

Hope this helps

Also do a search for gpedit under winnt\system32, you should be able to double click on the executable.

would agree with kippy13 - rebuild & save yourself hours of potentially wasted time.

@Shelter

Hi,

I have the same problem. There is only one difference - I played around with gpedit.msc by myself. Please do not comment. :))

Did you found a solution to resolve this problem without rebuild your machine?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

WEB Designer & WEB Developer (as per my working contract) and ASP Newbie :)

The bcastner workaround:

Logon as local Administrator and create a new account with Administrator Priviliges. Do not logon with that username yet.

Then, in Explorer deny with NTFS permissions, the new username deny read to c:\winnt\system32\Group Policy folder.

Now logon as that new Administrator user. Run gpedit.msc and fix the group policy issues.

Logout. Login as your regular Administrator. Remove the temporary Administrator user you created, and clean-up the NTFS permissions on the folder listed above.

Hi bcastner,

thanks for your tip and the url. unfortunatelly, i could not resolve the problem. I played that much around with gpedit.msc that I can't start any program. The only prog I can start is the explorer. It's is not possible for to create a new account. Or is there another way to create a new account?

thanks again. regards and have a nice sunday.

WEB Designer & WEB Developer (as per my working contract) and

Lupos.jpg

In the folder c:\winnt\system32:

copy regedit.exe
rename the copy regedit.com

Start, run, regedit.com

Make the NTFS changes suggested above.

Bill

Hi Bill,

thanks for your 2nd tip. No chance. The computer is totally closed. No chance to do anything. Luckily it is a computer I use only for tests like this one.

I am rebulding this machine and install a XP on. XP is also rather new for me.

Thanks again.
Dani

Lupos.jpg

When push comes to shove:

Use Recovery Console.

Delete the contents of c:\winnt\systemn32\Group Policy

Unplug from the network (you want to use cached credentials for this)

Logon as local Administrator.
Create the new Administrator user.
Logoff.

Logon as the new Administrator user. There cannot be at this point any policies in effect.
Use the MMC snap-in to change the policies that got messed up.

@Bill

Hi Bill,

I already rebuild my test machine. I Have another W2K machine (old but still a computer) around here I can "play" with and public holidays are in front of use. :)

Thanks again

Lupos.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back