Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to disable getty on a HP-UX

Status
Not open for further replies.

icreek

Programmer
May 18, 2001
NL
How can I disable getty in a HP-UX system?
I want to have a HP-UX system talk to a Windows 95 PC, with Hyperterminal (and later via a C based program) via a serial cable.
I want to communicate character based.
The port on HP-UX is Serial 0 "/dev/tty0p0"
But when I send some characters and a <CR>, HP-UX 'thinks' you are trying to login and hyperterminal is prompted for a 'password'.
I want to disable this.
Please Help.

Have you tried editing your /etc/inittab to remove (or comment out) the lines that begin with ttpx (where x is a number) and contain the /usr/sbin/getty command?

Once you edit the inittab, you may have to kill some getty processes (but I wouldn't kill the console getty process).

Hi icreek,

After editing the /etc/inittab file, I think that you will need to run #init q which will cause the file to be re-read. Then kill the corresponding getty.

Regards
Queenie

Hi icreek,

After editing the /etc/inittab file, reboot the system.
I am not sure if init q is enough.
Regards
pgl222

after you have edited the /etc/inittab changing &quot;respawn&quot; to &quot;off&quot; for /dev/tty0p0, init q will re-read the inittab. There is no need to reboot the system. However, there could still be one getty process out there that you need to kill off.

# ps -ef | grep getty | grep tty0p0

crowe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back