Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to disable CDRW drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale2

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
FR
Hi,

i wanted to know if it's possible to disable a recoder drive and keep only CDROM functionnality? (i know it's stupid but i need to know)
is it another way with windows 98 SE?(something else that uninstall burning software....)
thanks a lot!

Software looks at the hardware to see if it is a burner.
You leave the software there, you will get burning capability.
You could move and hide some critical part of the software and make it more difficult, but then it is difficult for you, but you could automate the hiding and unhiding.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

ok, but i don't want to install any burning software.
is there any hardware way??
thanks a lot for your answer!

Same answer as thread615-616967. If you don't install burning software, there is no way to burn a CD with win98. Are you trying to prevent someone else from installing burn software and using the burner?

yes, that's my problem : i can't deny anyone to install software (thus burning software download on the internet) but i don't want them to use it as a recorder...
to resume : i want to disable a CDRW recorder even if a burning software is installed on win98SE, you see my point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back