Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable auto save feature 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lushh

MIS
Sep 3, 2006
PH
hi guys.. how will disable the auto save feature on the forms of MS access? thanks in advance.. =)

What are you saying! . . .

Be more specific! . . .(at least!) . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

because when you enter a record in an MS access form, the record will be automatically saved right? so how will i disable this feature? i only want the record to be saved when a "save button" is clicked.

lushh . . .

Access saves the currently edited record whenever you change/switch to another record via Enter, Tab, or Mouse.

Using the mouse to click a button after editing a record (on the same form) is fine as the record is still in edit mode (as depicted by the pencil icon on the record selector).

All that remains is preventing Enter & Tab from parsing to another record. Best I can think of is to set the forms [blue]Cycle[/blue] property to [blue]Current Record[/blue].

[blue]Your Thoughts! . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Lushh - the automatic saving of a bound record on a form seems to be a 'feature' of Access that can not be disabled, per se.

The way I've gotten around this when necessary (and it's ugly, to say the least) is to use a temporary table to hold the data on your 'working' form, and when the "Save" button is pressed, I call a quick SQL INSERT INTO.. query to shoot the temporary record into the table that I want it in, and then delete the temporary record.

If the form is closed without the "Save", you've only saved into the temporary table, and that can easily be scratched when you're finished.

lushh . . .

. . . or you may consider an [blue]Unbound[/blue] form. Only difference is you have to do everything access does for you!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I routinely handle this by using custom navigation buttons and locking the mousewheel. When a form becomes Dirty, all navigation buttons are Disabled and a Save/Undo box pops up. Since all my forms are "full screen" there is no other way out until the user selects one or the other, after which all nav buttons are enabled again. Having to consciously make a decision seems to help the users to focus on the task at hand, which is important because, in this particular case, they are entering data pertaining to home health care visits, and entering dates and info on the wrong patient record would not be good. They are taught to always double check the patient name before saving the record.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

ok. =) thanks for the replies... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back