Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to diagnost my network ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

haneo

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
CA
Hello to all linux lover!
I am a newbie to linux, and i want to know if there is a free tools that can show me ICMP packets errors (origine destination) collisition detection etc....
All what an admin want to know to resolv problems.
Because our network(hubs+100 win$+solaris+linux/100M) is too slow !!
Without such tools i don't know who to resolve this problem !!!!

Linux comes with tcpdump. I'm sure if it installed, it can offer assistance.

Bill.

Start at the physical layer, make sure all the cables, network cards and hubs are of good quality and functioning correctly. You do this by isolating components and testing. Pull everything off the network except two servers, and concentrate on getting them to communicate quickly. Add servers one at a time. Once you have all the servers working together with good performance then add workstations. By adding to your network with careful purpose you can isolate where the problem stems from. If you start seeing lots of collisions on your hubs when you plug in a workstation you might have a bad nic that is wrecking your entire network with a deadly packet storm. Divide and conquer, take it slow. It is a lot of work on a large network but definitely worth it.

Next try and cut down on the number of protocols you are using. If you can run pure TCP/IP that will do a lot for the speed of your network. For your windows boxes enable Netbios (SMB) over TCP.

TCPDUMP is the tool you need to know how to use, although Etherape and Ethereal are great graphical tools. Of course there are a ton of sniffers and network tools for linux. Just try a google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back