Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Diable "Clear History" in IE using Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

basball

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Tools Menu: Disable Internet Options ... menu option
- if you Enable this Policy, you can't browse, so this won't work.

I know you can do it locally at the machine:

e.g.,
Open Registry Editor: Click Start | Click Run | Type regedit | Press Enter

Navigate to the following key (if it doesn’t exist, create it): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

To lock the “Clear History” button, you’ll have to modify the DWORD value called “History” (without quotes). If the value “History” does not already exist, right click in the right section of the window and select New, DWORD Value. Name it “History”.

Now that the value “History” is ready, double click on it to change its value data from 0 to 1. Click OK.

Is it possible to create a cusom policy such as the one above so I don't have to make this change locally at each machine - thank you.

If a unique policy already exists which address the clear history button only, please let me know - thank you.

I don't know of a way to do it how you are looking for, but I do know of a workaround. You can download a free program called Policymaker Registry something or other from Desktop standard. With this program, you can edit HKCU registry settings and enforce them via GPO's. It adds right into the Group Policy editor interface.

Very handy tool, much better than loading user registry hives.

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back