Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to determine what video card is installed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucime

Programmer
Mar 7, 2008
US
Hello,

I'm reinstalling XP on my kids' PC (they've downloaded so much junk it's running like a dog).

Well, I thought I knew which video card they had on there but I was wrong. I have a bunch of CDs that came with the various video cards in use in one or the other PC in the house but I can't figure out which one to use.

I did some research online and found some suggestions telling me that I could find out what video card was being used by running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

However, when I run it I don't see anything next to "Name:" in the Display tab. The Manufacturer, Chip Type & DAC Type both have n/a next to them.

I've opened up the case and looked at the video card but there is no manufacturer logo/label anywhere. There is what looks like a serial number.

Does anyone have any idea how I can figure out which video card this is?

Thanks in advance for any help

Run DirectX on the other PC's to determine which video cards/adapters they're using, eliminate their driver CD's, and the last remaining driver CD should be the one you need.

ski said:
Run DirectX on the other PC's to determine which video cards/adapters they're using, eliminate their driver CD's, and the last remaining driver CD should be the one you need.

Haha. That would actually work if I was good about throwing away CDs for cards I don't have anymore. Unfortunately, I'm not THAT organized.

Is this actually a video card, or is the GPU integrated on the motherboard? If it's on the motherboard, then you should be able to determine what you have at the mobo manufacturer's website. Install the mobo chipset driver to get DirectX to properly recognize the GPU.

GPU-Z might also work in the case that you have a standalone video card.

If that all fails, don't forget to visit Microsoft's update site and do a "Custom" update. You'll see a section for hardware and hopefully it can detect what you have and need. The BIOS might also display more information.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I've used debug in command prompt.
d c000:0000 and then page down with d through video related stuff.
q exits.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If it's a built-in video card, look up the motherboard model and it will tell you. Otherwise, pull the video card and get the FCC ID off it or maybe it will clearly show the model/part number.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It was a separate video card.

I downloaded GPUz and it told me which card I had.

My kids are happy now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back