Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to determine the active server via SNMP or other means

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash29

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2011
US
CM 5.2.1 on 8730's

I have a script that connects to the active server and downloads the commandhistory file for the purpose of change control. In order to make sure that I am getting the file from the current active server, I am trying to find a way to determine which server is actually active. I have been going through the MIBs and have not had any luck so far. Is anyone aware of the OID that can be polled that will tell me which server, A or B, is currently active? I would like to do this through SNMP if possible, but I am open to suggestions. The reason this is a problem is that on the rare occasion that the servers do swap, I would first like to pull the commandhistory file from the previously active server, then connect to the newly active server and pull that file.

you should be polling from the VIP (virtual IP !! ) the virtual IP is the ip address that is being used by the active CM server...

BoBAz

Yes, I am polling the VIP. If there is a server switchover, and I go to the VIP, that does me no good when I want the logs from the now standby server.

Then maybe poll both servers ip addresses... ?!! although during a (warm)interchange the host file is overwritten, if you look at the hosts file(s) on each of the servers you will notice the files are not the same... the active server has the VIP in its host file, you will see an entry in the logs when it interchanges.. can recall exactly what the entry is off hand..

BoBAz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back