Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to delete wsock32.dll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QSman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2005
GB
hello..

Recently a computer virus hit the wsock32.dll file. I have found out ways to delete that file but found that my c:\ won't allow that. It says wsock32.dll is read only. Is there anyway i can delete it? I have tried some ways but it didn't work.

Thanks in advance
qs

Sound's like a happy99. I just cleaned one off of a system yesterday. In DOS go into windows/system delete the file . On mine, I had to Deltree the File. After Renaming the .ska file. the system works great.
rafales@alltel.net

restart the computer in DOS mode, or boot from a floppy...

cd to c:\windows\system
now, type "attrib -s -h -r wsock32.dll" and press enter
then, type "del wsock32.dll" and press enter
then, type "rename wsock32.ska *.dll"

the happy99 virus simply renames the original file to .ska and puts its own wsock32.dll file in place... delete the infected wsock32.dll and restore the original...

this should get you back and running... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Had a similar problem in my wsock32.dll file. Had a worm virus.

Answer was simple. Had Norton's Antivirus Rescue Disks. Ran these from Msdos Prompt and Norton's fixed the problem.

Get Norton's Antivirus Free download, (30 Days), and create your own Rescue Disks, just in case it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back