Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to delete an interface (Cisco 2501)

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockc

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
I have 7 sites on Frame relay that all come back to the corporate office. Due to legal reasons, one site may have to be removed from our network immediately on the given notice. How can I delete that site from the corporate router on the fly? Is there a way to just delete the interface to that particular circuit? I am a newby to router configs. We have a 2501.

Considering the fact that you are a "newbie", I would say that you should shut down the interface rather than trying to delete anything. The "shutdown" command can be used on both physical and logical interfaces and will have the desired effect.

scriag84 is right. I don't know how much of a "newbie" you are so here goes, step by step :

if you are "on the move" you will have to telnet into the appropriate router and sign into global configuration mode after which you can "shutdown" the appropriate interface by typing the following:

<from your remote machine>
telnet <router name or ip address>
<then type your telnet password>
router>enable
<then type your enable password>
router#config t
router(config)#interface <S0 S1 or E0>
router(config-if)#shutdown

if I remember rightly the 2501 has only S0 S1 or E0 interfaces

this will cause the interface to be &quot;administratively&quot; shutdown - it is simply &quot;locked out&quot; (it will not function) via a software command and not &quot;removed or deleted&quot;

then check the running cofig to see the appropriate interface has exepted the command :

CTRL+Z
router#show run

the appripriate interface will now have the words &quot;Administratively shotdown&quot; just after its IP address etc.

Hope this helps.[thumbsup2]

Hi babcockc,

One thing to remember is that you are running frame-relay to 7 sites so you are probably using subinterfaces. Shuting down the S0 or S1 interface will bring all of your sites down. So you need to shutdown the subinterface that is connected to the remote site by using the steps above with the exception of:

router(config)#int S0.x

x being the subinterface value connected to remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back