Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to define a weekly cleaning job? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chappy72

Technical User
Oct 26, 2005
CH
Hello

we have ArcServe 11.1 with a Tandberg Loader.
Manually it's easy to use the cleaning tape.

But I can't find any schedule-options to define and save a job which cleans i.e. every Sunday or so.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot.

Daniel

Hi,

Use the Job Scheduler Wizard from within ARcserve and run "Ca_devmgr -clean" .

YOu can schedule this job to run as per your requirements..

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Check with your tape drive hardware vendor. It might be bad to clean a drive every week. Our new Ultirum 2 drives are only to be cleaned when the Clean light is on.

I agree with rwmastel. I can't remember where I read it, but regular cleaning of tape drives is damaging to the drives themselves. Companies that regulary clean their tape drives have more tape drive failures than companies who only clean the drives when the clean light comes on.

I think it has something to do with the way the cleaning occurs. If something is brushing on the readers (I'm not very technically experienced here) over and over, it will eventually wear them down. Cleaning only when there is a buildup helps lower wear and tear.

It depends entirely on the number of hours use the drives get. So, some operations I know may have the drives working 22 out of 24 hours a day, so a weekly cleaning schedule would not be entirely unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back