Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to decode a barcode from an image file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimymiky

Programmer
Apr 17, 2003
US
Does anybody know how to decode a barcode from an image file? I have studied image processing so far, but I still cannot come up with a good method to do it. I am particulary interested in decoding postnet, code 39 and pdf417. Thanks.

Not sure I follow what you are doing.
Do you have a bar-coded image you want to scan?
Or are you trying to make a barcode image file like a bitmap or jpeg?

DougP, MCP

I have image files which have barcodes as images. My goal is from barcodes as images ----> decode it. I am not trying to generate barcodes into image files. The barcode is already given in image files. Thanks.

I think you should try here:
They've got some stuff to do what I think you want. There's a demo package in which you select a tif to open, hit analyse, and it decodes all the barcodes on the page. It handles multiple barcode types on the same page, and is good for noisy scans, where the quality is poor or the codes are skewed.

I use this for testing, when I don't have a barccode sacnner to test a printed code: scan as a tif on my desktop scanner, then analyse in Pegasus.

Jim Brown,
Johannesburg,
South Africa.
My time is GMT+2

Jim,
Checked out the Pegasus site, but I wasn't sure which development tool or product prcesses images to recognize barcodes. What's the name of the tool or demo? Thanks,
Mike

Mike, it's Smartscan Barcode, I've got v3

Jim Brown,
Johannesburg,
South Africa.
My time is GMT+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back