Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to debug in T-SQL Debugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreis

Programmer
Apr 19, 2001
US
Hello:

After right-clicking on stored procedure on Query Analyzer Object Browser, I'm able only to enter input parameters and run sp from start to end. Breakpoints don't work. No debugging in the debugger happens! Am I'm missing something?

Thanks.
Andrei

What did you do to try to set the breakpoints?
Mine comes up at the first line of executable code and then I can use F9 to set breakpoints. But it won't set on anything but executable code. You can't set them on comments, declaration statements, or blank lines. Then F5 to run the procedure and it stops at the breakpoints.

What drives me crazy is that I can't seem to get it to let me change the code while debugging. I can change the variable values, but if I see something that I need to change I have to change it with an ALter procedure in another window and then start the debugger again for the changed procedure. This is awfuly awkward to me, I miss being able to change a line and then back up to it and start executing again like I can when I do VBA, VB or VB.NET code.

SQLSister!
I set a toggle breakpoint on, say, 3rd or 5th Select statement of the procedure, then run it, and it executes the entire procedure anyway. During the execution, Step Into-Over-Out buttons are highlighted, but after they are not. Can't do much with this tool. Any hints?
Thanks.
Andrei

Hi,

After Setting breakpoints..... did u try using F8..... if u use F8 what does it do.....

Sunil

Sunil:
F8 just opens and closes Object Browser.
Andrei

Hi,

Iam sorry i mean F11.... did u try F11.... too much of VB i guess :)

Sunil

Sunil:
F11 does absolutely nothing. Dead.
Andrei

Oh how do you enter parameters i usually declare them if there is a easy way to step and break point...can someone explain to me how you do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back