Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Deal WIth A Micromanager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
My job is great - I'm involved in projects, my opionion is sought out, I have much responsibility, I've even heard through the grapevine that the boss holds me in high regard.

The big problem is the micromanaging. The boss comes by 5-6 times a day, sometimes within an hour of each visit, asking the same questions. The boss is knee deep in management consoles, constantly telling us how to tune systems, document the environment. All the while the boss has hands in each of these, doing the work that we should be doing. Holding IT back from getting stuff done.

This one characterisitic is driving me away from here; and I've only been here nine months!

Does anyone have any advice on how I should deal with this? Do I want to leave, no, unless the micromanaging doesn't stop.

Yeah, I kind of figured that, but you get credit for trying to repair the situation first. Now the trick is to get a new job, deal with your current boss and leave your job and not get too stressed out all at once.

It's just a case of two personality types that can't be together. Be sure to tell us what happens when/if you leave and if you "blow the whistle" on the micro-managing. I feel like I'm part of the water cooler gang at this point.

Yeah, its sad because the boss thinks of me highly. He is even backing off on a project he gave me. Something he Never does! But this opportunity that came up is at a place I have always dreamed of working and now it is very close to becoming a reality.

Someone talked to the CIO about morale and it opened a whole can of worms. I was pulled into the office of my bosses' boss and point blankly asked about morale, the teams and mine individually. I used the opportunity to launch into how my boss is driving me away.

To make a long story short, I spoke to my boss, for the third time, about his ways. All he did was calmly defend everything he does.

That right there sealed it for me - I am gone. I will be getting a job offer next Friday. When I put my notice in I am going to seriously upset the apple cart, because my boss thinks everything is so hunky-dory over here!

Like your boss or not, I would advise against burning your bridges. It has a way of coming back on you down the road. Micro-mangers are the worst, and it would seem that the higher-ups are at least aware there is an issue. You're out of the frying pan, and just leave it at that. Hopefully your new boss is better.

--------------------------------------------------
“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun
--------------------------------------------------

All he did was calmly defend everything he does.
This is typical for a control freak. They are always right and they'll explain it to you or more likely, why YOU'RE wrong. I believe most control freaks cannot see over the little mountain range that surrounds them.

I would have thought you would have ALREADY been gone as I was just thinking about this thread the other day.

I think you SHOULD open up the can of worms since higher management is sniffing that something is wrong. You never hear about a "morale pow-wow" unless they know something is cooking. They need to know who/why. If you can do that without totally assassinating his character, I would do it. If you're going to froth at the mouth (like me), not advisable. You're not burning your bridges with the company, you're only burning your bridge with that one boss. And he may be gone and you could return later if you wanted to on good terms (assuming no frothing).

I would already be gone, one would think. I had the "interview" at the end of April (interview is in quotes because I already had a formal interview with this department over the last two years. Budget cuts cost me the position) and their HR dept STILL has not contacted me. I am assured that they will do this this upcoming Friday.

UPDATE:

I left and went to my dream job. HR at the old job does not do exit interviews so no worries there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back