Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to created a VERY limited user account/group

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpingpong

Programmer
Jul 6, 2004
Hi all,

I have my active directory setup in our windows 2000 domain.
Now, with visitors coming into our plant, I need to create either a single user or a user group (doesn't really matter) that has very restricted access. I only want them to run a specific application and restrict everything else. Ex: Internet Explorer, Games, Windows Explorer, etc....

What is the best way to do this?
i've created a group policy for our office with a list of users and computers... and one particular user account "temp_user" is what I want to limit to only running a MS Access application that we have running in our plant floor.

Can this be done?

Could you not create a local account rather than a domain account? I think you're going to struggle on a domain level.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

No.. i cannot create a local account.
That would defeat the whole purpose of Active Directory and organizing all the entities in our domain.

I can't just have ppl logon locally just because I can't figure out somethings about active directory and group policies

You could use restricted groups to manage local group membership.

To block applications you can use Run only allowed Windows applications and Don't run specified Windows applications

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

Now, with visitors coming into our plant

I assumed this was a one-off or infrequent occurrence.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Grenage does have a very good point if this is only for a short time on a few PC's then it would be less hassle to do this locally.

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

well... again like I said earlier... I don't want to do this locally on any PCs...

Because there are temp workers coming in and out of our plant and they need to logon to any of the 20 computers around the plant floor....

That's why i want to restrict their account access because I would have no idea which computer the temp users would be using

BTW.. thanks for the links porkchopexpress

I have a similar situation, you need a combination of tools.

First the workstations, if you can stick in a thin client, the sort you get from Wyse.

Then you have the system launch a terminal server session automatically on boot.

The TS session can be set to launch a specific app based on the login you use on the thin client, this is done on the environment tab on AD.

This login should be part of an OU and you edit the group policy of that OU to tighten things down as far as you like.

For internet you could set the home page to a local page that says internet access is not available. Then use the AD group policy to force a proxy that does not exist e.g. 10.10.10.10 with a port of 8250.

Finally as a just in case you need to create a limited profile, start off with a basic profile and get deleting. On my system if for some reason an admin unticked the setting that launches the app then the user would get a desktop. However, I have it locked down so tight that there are no icons, they can't right click anything and the only options on the menu are logout.

You could achieve the same thing on a PC with AD but the thin client is slicker.

If you do use a PC you may want to segment it off on a different vlan and remove the CD and floppy drive cables, then use bios to disable USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back