Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create thumbnails for all pages in a pdf document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqlsa

Programmer
Aug 24, 2002
US
Hi,
I need to create thumbnail for each and every page of adobe pdf document.

Suppose, there are 5 pages in a pdf document. So I need to access the pdf file and create thumbnail images for all the five pages. I have to do this from VB6 application. Each thumbnail image will be stored as a seperate file.

One more interesting point: When we view a pdf file with five pages in a browser, then it automatically creates thumbnails for each page. I am using WebBrowser control in my application to show the pdf documents. So when I view pdf in web browser control, it creates thumbnails but they are blank. All the thumbnails are blank and look the same.

So, I need to know how to create thumbnail images for all the pages in a pdf document. Am I using the right control?
Is there any adobe library with which we can do this?

Thanks in advance,

Sreeni

How are you creating the PDF? If it's Distiller..go into printers and select Acrobat Distiller poke around the properties and you will find create thumbnails...good luck

Hi,
I am not creating pdf document from application. This file is created by the users from a word or word perfect document.

Sreeni

Hi rubin,
They use Word or Word Perfect program to create adobe pdf documents. What happens is, they receive picture files in word or word perfect documents. Both Word and Word Perfect have ability to generate pdf documents from word or word perfect documents. I don't know what programs Word or Word Perfect use internally to create pdf documents.

Thanks,

Sreenivas

Okay I will assume that it is PDFMaker.

1.) Open Word
2.) On toolbar select Acrobat
3.) Select Change Conversion Settings
4.) Click Edit Conversion Settings
5.) Check the "embed Thumbnails" box
6.) And then save it. (ebooks is read-only)

If it's Acrobat distiller

1.) Go to Control Panel->printers
2.) Right-click on Acrobat Distiller. And select properties
3.) Click on Printing Preferences (Near the botton of the Property Page)
4.) Select Adobe PDF Settings->And click Edit Conversion Settings
5.) same as 5 above
6.) save as 6 above.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi rubin,
Thanks for all ur help. I am using adobe 4.0. I don't find the options you have shown.

But I did not want to do this way. I wanted to use ADOBE object model and program to develop thumbnails. That keeps me safe from the changes users make to their PC settings.

Where can I find the object model of adobe controls? Which one should I use?

Thanks a lot,

Sreenivas

Hi ruben,
Thanks. I will go through some of these documents and try to figure out what to do.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sreenivas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back