Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create three equality spaced concentric rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkoopers

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2005
US
I want to create three equality spaced concentric rings. I tried doing it using these steps:

Used Elliptical Marquee Tool with [Alt-Shift] to size a ring
Edit-Stroke with an 8 px width located outside
Repeat above to steps using eye judgment to make larger rings

Using my eye to manually create the rings does not result in perfectly centered and perfectly spaced rings.

What steps would I need to use to create three equality spaced concentric rings?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Photoshop can make perfect proportions using the snap to grid option.

I would try using View > snap to grid.

Then go to View > show > grid.

Modiy the grid size in Edit > preferences > "guides, grid and slices". --I would start with gridline every .25 inches.

Now try to redraw one circle while holding the shift key.
Apply the stroke. Zoom in on it.

Select the circle with the magic wand tool. Go to Select > Modify > Expand: use 3px (or more if you are using high resolution.) The reason to use expand is so you don't accidentally not select all of the circle.

Go to Edit > copy. Then go to Edit > paste. The new circle will be on a new layer allowing you to manipulate it without affecting the original circle. When you move it using the move tool it will "snap" into position.

If the alignment is not perfect enough move the gridline number up to .5 in. You may have to experiment with this number.

Let me know if this helps or you need clarification.

On a new layer draw the first circle, let this one be the largest and fill solid colour.
Copy to new layer. Fill with different colour to identify from previous circle.
Command/T and holding down shift/alt, adjust to smaller size.
Copy this to new layer and repeat.
You now have 3 concentric circles. Command click a layer to select the circle perimeter and add a stroke. then hit delete to clear the inside solid colour. Repeat on each layer.

Remember to apply the stroke last to avoid the stroke thickness from changing whilst scaling each circle.

If you want to make the circles specific dimensions, use the scaling tool and input the sizes using the boxes in the top horizontal toolbar.

You might also consider using the guide lines to draw three boxes the size that you want the circles to be.

Then just drag the ellipse tool to the opposite corner to make concentric circles.

I.e. a 6" box a 4"box and a 2" box or what ever sizes you need.

If you need and odd size just make it to an even size and resize the whole piece of art to the size you need when you are done. This takes less time to do then it does to describe.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back