Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create share folder "very Urgent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2005
NG
Hi all,

I just implemented MS WINS 2003 Active directory Service.

How can I enable domain users to create share folder on their systems.

Thank you very much.

Your question is a little sketchy. Can you expound a little more? If you want your domain users to be able to create shares on their worstations and give other domain users access to these shares that is relatively straight forward. I think we will need for you to explain a little more in depth what you are talking about though and then someone here will easily explain to you how to accomplish your task.

You create shares on workstations the same way you do on a server. just right click the folder and choose properties. Click the Sharing tab. Select the box to "Share this Folder" and give it a name. Set the permissions as needed.

Make sure you understand how Share Permissions and NTFS Permissions combine. They combine with the most restrictive right being given to your users.

Example1:
User is JSMITH
Folder is JOHNSSHARE
NTFS permissions set to List, Read & Execute
Share perissions set to FULL CONTROL

When JSMITH accesses this share over the network he will only be able to read the contents of the folder and not make modifications.

Example2:
User is JSMITH
Folder is JOHNSSHARE
NTFS perissions set to FULL CONTROL
Share permissions set to List, Read & Execute

When JSMITH accesses this share over the network he will only be able to read the contents of the folder and not make modifications. However if JSMITH is logged onto this machine locally and accesses the folder directly (not via the share) he will have FULL CONTROL.

All that aside, it is a bad policy to allow your users to create their own shares. You should set up any neededs shares on your server and give users whatever rights they need to do their job and nothing more.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry, but isn't that defeating the purpose of having a server? Wouldn't you store everything on said server???

Create a common directory on the server and share files that way...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

I agree with karmic. But, I'm even more curious how someone can setup a 2003 AD and not know how to create a share???

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

Thank you all for the reply,

I know how to create share folders as a domain administrator.

My problem is how do I enable my domain users to create shared folders on thier machines when they are logged on as a user on the domain.

Thank you very much.

Leke

Create a directory or browse to the directory that will be shared. Right-click the folder, properties, share tab. Radio button (share as). Should auto-fill to directory name, or you may type in a share name. On security tab, add the users you would like to have access to this share.

Bing-bang-boom, you've got a share!

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

Hello Monsterja,

Thanks for the input.

I want to let you know that your sugestion is only possible as a domain adminstrator. You cannot create a shared folder on your machine as a domain user.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back